The key to transforming the classroom with Technology is in "How it is Implemented."
Read article from Aug/Sept 2008 issue of Edutopia titled
"Disrupting Class: Student-centric Education is the Future"
http://www.edutopia.org/student-centric-education-technology
and the associated comments.
Respond to the following:
1) Do you feel the article is correct in saying "An organization's natural instinct is to cram the innovation into its existing operating model to sustain what it already does. This is perfectly predictable, perfectly logical - and perfectly wrong."
2) Give one example of a lesson idea - you would/could implement using computer-based learning.
~or~
Describe a student past/present who you think would benefit from computer-based instruction.
8 Comments:
1) This article is saying that educational institutions do cram innovation only into existing operating systems, and I do agree with this statement. When education has always been the same traditional approach with administrators, teachers, and staff in charge. They have also studied in a traditional system all of their lives without any major technology than television, changing to something outside of the box is challenging.
2) An idea would be a lesson where students were given the topic they were required to learn at the beginning, and the students had to create their own assessments, homework, research, and complete on their own with all questions being answered by their teacher. By a certain date, all students would be responsible for having completed all assignments that they had designed themselves. Thus, students could learn using the resources that appealed to them and not necessarily use the traditional approach to learning.
I must first observe one thing, before answering. The article ignores one essential function of the classroom. Professional level interpersonal communication. It seems that the authors ignore this element in favor of informal communication that occurs within students' daily lives.
And yes, I do agree with the assertion that the new is just put into the old, status quo methodologies. I do not believe that it is always wrong, I mean there are innovations every day, and changing with each one would be impossible. But change does happen; it just needs a catalyst from time to time. And nothing happens overnight, which is what the authors seem to want.
As for a lesson I could (and do) use, I would begin with a topic, say persuasive writing. I would have the students research persuasive writing, choose a topic, and write the paper with myself as a guide for the process and technology as the resource. The students get professional communication skills, and personalized learning.
1. I agree with the comment.
I think that teachers feel pulled in so many directions.
Maybe the best way for a teacher to start using this type of technology is to pick one subject area and just dive in. There will never be a good time to start something that will require transistion time for teachers. Differentiating for students should be the top priority for all teachers and technology of this type would make that a reality
2. Math would be perfect for this. In a classroom there are 5-10 ability levels and some teachers teach to one. If one topic could be presented and the children practice at their level.
1) One of the earlier article reviews I did discussed in detail the different types of philosophies teachers take to the internet. One is the "resource" view. Teachers view the internet as a hassle and go so far as to say that it is a resource, much like an encyclopedia or book. Some teachers simply take the internet and bring it down to their level, rather then rising to the challenge that internet proposes. Not only do the institutions cram innovations into existing operating systems, but teacher's do so as well.
But I'm preaching to the choir.
2. Lesson plans that involve any leveled curriculum (math, reading, languages) and an understanding of different learning styles (in other words differentiated learning) lends itself to this topic. Even something as simple as the program Fastmath. It assesses student levels and gives them practices according to their needs. Kind of cool.
1.Yes, I agree with the articles’ statement. Although, I don’t know if I agree that it’s perfectly wrong. School systems have to go through many steps in order to acquire new equipment and technology. All of that takes time and money and the education system doesn’t all ways have a lot of both. Sure schools could do more, but I think that most educators are trying to use technology and what’s available to them. Change, progress takes time.
2.I have a resource student who would benefit from computer-based instruction. She began band later in the year and is really struggling to catch up and learn her notes. If I had the equipment and time she would improve by using programs that would allow her to learn her notes at her own pace.
1. Yes, I agree, by and large, that organizations cram innovations into its existing operating model to sustain what it already does. One example would be encouraging the use of computers for writing but requiring pencil and paper state assessments! One arena that has used the student centric model of instruction described in the article for many years is library services.
2. Library database searching is a computer-based lesson that is consistently used within my area. This skill is so essential to students learning how to use the library that we would be remiss to not teach it. We have also been teaching the use of on-line tools such as encyclopedias, dictionaries, thesaurus’, etc.
I think one of the most important parts of this article was the idea of matching up teaching methods with students learning styles and needs. Schools need to put more time and effort into finding out how each individual student learns and creating an educational plan for each student.
"Disruptive innovations" need to be introduced in the classroom at a young age when students are learning how to learn. This will make teachers and students more comfortable with using technology in creative ways in the classroom and help them adjust when technology changes.
I agree with the statement from question one. The challenge for schools will be to adjust education to prepare students for changes in technology and the workplace.
In regards to question two -- One way of using this idea that I have seen (and was mentioned in the article) was for credit recovery in high schools. Students that are not succeeding in traditional classrooms are able to work individually at their own speed and in a method that fits them best.
I am not sure if students who are five or six should be taking on-line classes, but I am sure there are some "disruptive innovations" that could benefit them as well.
I halfway agree with the the first statement. Sometimes it seems like school districts spend the money to supply schools with certain technology, but training and instruction is not given to help teachers use what they are so fortunate to have.
I agree with Jenny that math would be a perfect example of using computers for learning. If a student is struggling with a specific math concept, there are several math programs that can help understanding and give more practice.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home