Discussion for September 8-15
Please watch the video "Why We Need To Teach Technology in School." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VnHdqpE4RM
What is your reaction? In your opinion, is the video correct or incorrect or biased?
In what specific ways should the content of this video impact education?
10 Comments:
The visuals were great in this video. I know we have a responsibility to our kids to teach them to use new tools safely and how to filter through the huge amount of info thrown at them. We should use and integrate technology as much as possible. I think that we can do a great deal my modeling for our kids....the traditional rows and lectures can be switched with an interactive approach. We have all had teachers who subscribe to each model...and I enjoy and learn more when I am engaged. I would like more hours in the day so I could try to do more for my kids.
I think video was correct in what it had to say. Things change and improve and we continually have to be on our feet moving forward and learning new things. This does not just mean our students and teachers need to be up to speed, but it means our administration, parents, and politicians do as well. So many times I read or watch these types or articles or shows that state the problem or what is not taking place. I want to read IDEAS of HOW we can take that next step forward. There needs to be an alignment between expectations of ALL involved; students, teachers, administrators, parents, and politicians. It is not just on the shoulders of the teachers to create this change and sometimes I think they are the ones targeted. We can be leaders and advocates for the change, but everyone needs to jump on board!
I enjoyed watching the video, especially looking back and seeing how far technology has come. The video is correct, we need to do more regarding technology is school. I agree with Erin, all levels of administration need to be on board regarding technology and 21st Century Skills. I'm not sure what role this particular video should play in education, other than to advocate for the inclusion of technology in all subjects. I want to do more for my kids; but when schools are focused primarily on test scores, enrichment classes and technology are the last thing teachers want to give up precious time for.
Ienjoyed watching the video, especially looking back and seeing how far technology has come. The video is correct, we need to do more regarding technology is school. I agree with Erin, all levels of administration need to be on board regarding technology and 21st Century Skills. I'm not sure what role this particular video should play in education, other than to advocate for the inclusion of technology in all subjects. I want to do more for my kids; but when schools are focused primarily on test scores, enrichment classes and technology are the last thing teachers want to give up precious time for.
"We fear what we don't understand"
Can you imagine what fear must have done to the first cavement who saw fire...an interesting reaction. In the school I work in, we recieved update computers last year after 10 years. As in we were still using floppy disks. Some of our teachers celebrated and others wondered what the heck you were supposed to do with them. This year, it's better. We have a new principal who is working to educate the educators. But it comes down to inspiration-the kids are already inspired. The teacher's however have to be convinced that is in their students best interest, as well as their own to adapt and change their teaching techniques to involve the smartboard, the elmo, the LCD, the mobile laptops (these are all new to our school this year).
One of the best ways I've seen to inspire a technology-phobic teacher is to have another teacher's class come in and teach his/her class how to do something using the technology. The teacher can watch the engagement, learn without pressure, and see the academic stimulus provided.
The video points out exactly how technology initially took a step every century to the point where technology makes advances every second. As a result, we must all be able to learn, unlearn, and relearn again. This can be tough for professionals who have been doing things the same way for a long time.
I agree with Erin and Sarah, we all must be involved. Just as the axiom says, "it takes a village to raise a child." Thus representatives at each level of education, teachers to administration, students to parents, business to government, we all must work together to help students.
The most important points I pulled from the video are the need for creativity, ability to manipulate new information, critcally analyze, innovation, and provide authentic practice in the classroom.
As teachers
The video was correct in what it presented. Technology is rapidly changing and has done so far beyond our wildest dreams. We are already seeing the results of this incredible phenomenon in terms of a power shift. Those who have and use technology today have the power and those who don't are becoming weaker. In terms of education, those who don't have and use technology will become marginalized. I see several road blocks to technology in the classroom. 1. It is very expensive to keep up with the latest technology - those who find the money will stay up and those who don't, won't. 2. Teachers are overwhelmed with high-stakes testing and the effects that has on the daily priorities a teacher faces. 3. Change is difficult 4. Technology used to be seen as a tool to achieve the best education for students, now it has been projected to be more powerful that the human brain - will mankind end up serving technology rather than the other way around?
I think two challenges facing education in regards to technology is figuring out which tools work best for the classroom and cost.
Technology is changing so quickly that it is difficult to assess which technologies are best for the classroom. Schools need to continuously implement the latest and best tools in the classroom.
Schools are already having a difficult time paying for lunches, buses, and teachers. I am worried technology will be left behind in schools where they can need it the most.
One other issue that I think is important is continuous training and eduction of teachers. I think schools and teachers need to make a stronger commitment to keeping informed and inspired about technology. An after school workshop once a semester is not enough.
I thought the video was correct overall, but I would have liked to see some more specific solutions of how technology can be used in the classroom. I liked how it said that technology needs to be used to help students think critically and innovate.
I agree with the video, as well with the class. Technology is am important part of life that needs to be taught, but it also costs money and time, two things that not every school and teacher have.
I will also assert, however, that the video was biased. I noticed many things that, however useful, were internet-based for the current technology. Many businesses that use technology use the programs, albeit expensive, available. And the video never addressed the money issue. New technology is expensive. And, as pointed out, always changing. Thus, always expensive when considering the newest.
Think about it... like our predecessors in covered wagons crossing the plains, or the working class population of the U.S. in the early 1900's - ushering-in the "industrial revolution"
WE TOO ARE PIONEERS
in the beginning of the technological revolution.
The video looks at advances in technology from the caveman times to today. With each step, with each new development, our world has changed drastically for the better.
We are living in turbulent, but very exciting times!! Could anyone in 1908 have known what the world would be like in 1999?
It is important for us, as the next generation of educators, to remain open to new ideas and stay flexible in their implementation. For the technological innovations that are made in the next few years will surely affect learning in the 21st century.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home